The University Health Services (KNUST Hospital) started as a dressing station in 1952. It has now grown by additions and modifications into a full-fledged 125-bed capacity hospital. The hospital currently caters for a population of over 200,000. This is made up of 42,000 students, 30,000 staff and dependants and about 150,000 people from over 30 surrounding communities including Ayigya, Bomso, Ayeduase, Kotei and Boadi.
Located in the northwest part of Kumasi, Ashanti Region on the Kumasi-Accra highway, it is the medical arm of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
In 1972, the female, children and the male wards were constructed to enable the hospital receive more in-patients. The Out-Patient Department (OPD) and the theatre were added in 1973. The maternity ward, which was initially an isolation ward, was converted for maternal health purposes.
The KNUST Hospital was primarily set up to cater for the health needs of staff, their dependants and the students of the University. However, it has now extended its services to the general public and provides health care services to the surrounding communities with a rapidly increasing population. Thus, the hospital plays the role of a District Hospital.
The University Health Services offers services in general medical care as well as specialist services.
The Health Service commissioned a students’ clinic on 2 April 2007 to enhance the health care delivery for students of the university. The Clinic is located in the heart of the university; near Chancellor Hall. The units at the clinic comprise of medical records, a Pharmacy, Laboratory, treatment room, nurses’ station, and a lying-in ward among others. The aim of the clinic is to ease congestion at the main hospital.